Monday, May 21, 2012

RECAP: SXSW - Lights, Camera, Dancin' (Pt.1) http://www.cjlo.com/magazine/show-review/sxsw-lights-camera-dancin-pt1


Junebug Spade @ Friends
As soon as I got back to “dirty sixth”, I hopped into Friends to watch Junebug Spade, a garage rock/ alternative band from Oklahoma City. Peter Anthony Seay II’s vocals mixed with Kyle Mayfield’s bass playing remind me a bit of Built to Spill, a band that these guys have also shared a stage with in the past. I hate to use the words garage rock because it reminds me of when I would listen to my friends’ shitty ska bands play in high school, but these guys did me a favour and gave this sub-genre a whole new meaning. It’s impossible for you not to feel the energy from these guys, much like my other favourite artists from OKC. The band just released their third EP, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, which I highly recommend. I’m telling you, you haven’t heard the end of these guys yet!
-Eileen English


No comments:

Post a Comment